There are many things we could do to make Dewsbury a better place.
Here's just a few...
What would you suggest?
Here are some bright (maybe!) ideas to get us started. The priorities of what we decide to do will come out of communication and cooperation between members of our community.
Planning & Business
- Neighbourhood Plan. Should we have a Neighbourhood Plan to enable us to have more control over the planning process? See: http://locality.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/Roadmap-worksheets-map-May-13.pdf
- Consultation. Provide a co-ordinated voice for the people of Dewsbury to respond to local planning issues including the Local Plan.
- Promote the Market. Get the Market connected with www.MarketDelivered.co.uk
- Events - are what bring people together and generate business at the same time.
- Start protecting the historic buildings in the Conservation Area
- Promote the Conservation Area
- Identify the problem areas of rubbish disposal that put people off the town centre.
- Work with Kirklees, landlords and voluntary groups to improve the appearance of empty buildings.
- Assuming a reduction in street cleaning by Kirklees under budget pressure, create work teams of capable volunteers with transport to clear fly-tipped rubbish and recycle to recover materials of value for community projects.
- Use the marketing and communications reach to residents that we intend to develop to communicate social cohesion messages developed between religious leaders.
- Events themed around music, dance and food of the different ethnic groups we have in the town. Give small communities the opportunity to show off.
- A 'Smart City' idea from Bloomberg Philanthropies to provide information to people in the town via their smartphones - particularly useful for the visually impaired. See Virtual Warsaw
Some Other Ideas You Might Find Interesting
What's Your Idea?
Do you know of other resources we have available in Dewsbury that could add to the capabilities we have available? Any suggestions - please use the Comment below and we'll add it here.